Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mambo!

There are so many ways to greet someone in swahili! I was very confused last week - but I think I'm getting it down now.

Mambo means - how's it going?
The usual response is "poa" - it's cool, I'm fine.

Habari? means - how are you?
The response is "nzuri" - I'm good/fine.

Hujambo? also means - how are you?
Sijambo - is the response for I'm fine.

There are some that don't have an English equivalent.
Shikamoo - is like a respectful greeting.
The response is "marahaba" - which means something like "thank you for your respectful greeting."

Unatoka wapi? Where are you from
Natoka Marekani. I'm from America.

I still can't believe I'm in Africa. I've told you a little about Karatu already. But there's so much more. I wake to the sound of cows mooing - yes, right in the neighbor's yard. And there are so many cows here - all wandering around grazing on the dry, brown grasses as their owners amble around, observing from a short distance. The cows are not like the typical american dairy cows - all black and white, either. They are brown, or tan, or grey, or mixed. Some are white. Some have masaii warriors tending to them. I also wake to the sound of so many roosters. They cry out all through the day, too - as if they are confused about the time. And there are tons of little chirping birds right outside the house - and at the office, too. Everyone seems to have a chicken or two running around in their yard. I just noticed that the house behind the office has a chicken with about 7 little babies running after their mamma. I fall asleep to the opera of crickets. It's sometimes so loud, I feel like they are right in my room!

I had my first shopping experience in Karatu market. It's sort of an outdoor farmer's market - difficult to explain. I will take some photos before I leave here. There is not a huge variety of produce. Most vendors sell carrots, potatoes and tomatoes. This area of Tanzania is also known for its red onions- so every nearly vendor has them. There is also garlic, greens, and cucumbers. I bought some bananas and a large, juicy papaya. The market also has a dried fish stand - perfect for Jolene's cat. And there are huge bags filled with rice and dried beans. Of course there are scruffy little kids sitting with their mammas - so cute, my heart just melts when they smile and say "jambo" to me.

I am trying some of the local beverages, too. I already talked about the tangiwizi - my favorite ginger soda. But they have a variety of beers - mostly lagers that taste very similar. Serengeti is becoming a favorite. I also splurged on a bottle of South African merlot - Tsh10,000 (about $8.50 - quite a luxury when the daily wage is much less than that).

Tanzanians think white people (mazungas) are all rich. And I suppose in comparison, we are. The average annual salary is about $360. But Tanzania is not a "poor" country - when you consider the booming tourism industry and the fact that it costs each person $100 to enter the Ngorongoro crater.

We are still waiting on the District Medical Officer to allow me to visit the hospital in town for a few days. In the meantime, I have been working on several powerpoint presentations for Dr. Frank and his staff.

Asante sana for reading!





1 comment:

njostrom said...

Habari Megan,

I love you're blog and sounds like you are having a great time. Can't wait to see all your pictures. Heard you and Kim are going to be traveling around when your time in Tanzania is over. Such an amazing time. Continue sharing your adventures with us. I'm really enjoying it!

Kwa Heri!
: >)
Nancy