Sunday, October 19, 2008

It has been the most spectacular weekend here in Africa!!

I still cannot believe how beautiful Tanzania is! I went hiking for a few hours on Saturday with one of the peace corps volunteers and it was incredible. I cannot describe the beauty of this land - it is at times completely breathtaking. We hiked up and down hills, among peaceful valleys and through countless lush coffee plantations. We hiked to the gate of the conservation area where the land near the Ngorongoro crater is protected - and so full of trees. We walked by many mud huts with so many adorable children running around - all saying hi to us. One woman who's house we wandered by tried to give me her 3 month old daughter, Mary, who was chewing on some sugar cane. This little baby was so adorable, I was very tempted to scoop her up and bring her home with me. I asked her mom if she would miss her daughter and she told me that I could just bring her back in a few years for a visit - as if it would be no big deal.

Today, Jolene made brunch again! She invited a few other americans over, and we gorged ourselves and played Farkel - a dice game. It was super fun. This afternoon, she, Peter and I went to Ngorongoro Farm House Lodge - an incredible place with a beautiful deck overlooking one of the smaller craters. We continued to play Farkel and watched the sunset. The manager of the lodge must have a crush on Jolene - he offered us dinner and drinks. As we were watching the millions of stars appear while eating, one of Peter's students appeared with his family. They apparently perform at the Farm House on the weekends. Peter's student, Celestine, his sister, Cecilia, and his mother and father warmed up for us with two beautiful songs. During the second song, Cecilia grabbed me and made me come dance withher and her mother - she was so cute! Celestine's father, Paulo, was playing a violin like instrument made from a gourd that he had built himself - with very nice carvings along it. He actually offered to give me the instrument when I told him how lovely it was! It was the most delicious ending to a fantastic African weekend.

No comments: